January is a month to try new things and here at I Ain’t No Saint we’d like to give a gentle nod to Veganuary – a chance to try being Vegan for a month…
If you have been to the Studio recently you may have heard that we are a Vegan Studio.
Iain turned Vegan this summer after watching a film called What the Health. You can see his post about it here. Our piercer Anna was a dedicated Vegetarian for over 15 years before finally taking the plunge to give up Dairy (!) and other animal products earlier in 2017.
Customers who have sat in Iain’s chair recently may have heard him raving about the benefits of his new found plant-based diet. Honestly, we were all surprised when he decided to switch, but he has never felt better! Increased energy, alertness and feeling all round physically more positive? It seemed like a no-brainer.
For Iain, the reason to switch wasn’t powered by his love of animals or ethical reasons (although these are good reasons too) but from the health benefits and a simple diagram showing the digestive tract of a Human. He couldn’t argue with the facts : Humans just don’t have the digestive make-up to eat meat. And that was enough for Iain to make a new lifestyle decision.
Anna switched to being a vegetarian when she was 13. Earlier in the year, Anna did something she never thought she could : she gave up all dairy products. This was mainly a personal choice to try and alleviate the recurring eczema she has suffered with from birth. But since then, there have been many articles exposing the treatment of animals in the meat, dairy and poultry industry that made her decision a solid choice not to change back.
And before you ask – no, neither Iain nor Anna miss bacon!
So what are the benefits of going Vegan even if it is just for Veganuary?
- The Vegan Diet is richer in certain nutrients from all the whole grains, fruits, vegetables, beans, peas, nuts and seeds you will eat to substitute for meat.
- The Vegan Diet can help you to lose weight. In this Study they found that even compared to a calorie-controlled diet the people on a Vegan Diet lost more weight even when they could eat until they felt full.
- The Vegan Diet may help protect against certain cancers. According to the World Health Organization, about one-third of all cancers can be prevented by factors within your control, including diet. Want to find out more? Take a look here.
- Eating fresh fruits, vegetables, pulses and fiber is linked to a lower risk of heart disease
- Studies have reported that a Vegan Diet can help reduce pain from arthritis
- Going Vegan is the easiest and most effective way to help our planet.
Plus many people report feeling much more alert, positive and generally healthier! It can help your skin too, and pair that with drinking at least 2 litres of water a day can make tattooing a lot easier. And of course the benefits to the animals too.
You’ll be pleased to know that the products in the Studio are all Vegan. Including our own Tattoo Aftercare Super Tattoo Sauce which is 100% Vegan, 100% Natural and 100% Awesome. You can find out more about Super Tattoo Sauce and buy yourself a bottle here!!
We wish you all the best for the New Year and whether you try Veganism, we look forward to seeing you in the Studio this year.